The small towns of Franklin and Port Huon are less than an easy hour south of Hobart.
You will find the beautiful and historic town of Franklin only a further 10 minutes drive south of Huonville on the banks of the Huon River.
The town of Franklin was named after Sir John Franklin and his wife Lady Jane Franklin who were some of its first settlers. Until the 1930s, Franklin was a thriving town known for its shipping, farming, and apple orchards. Today you can visit the Tasmanian Wooden Boat Centre, sit down for a meal or beverage at one of its many restaurants and cafes, or peruse one of its antiques, galleries, and gift shops.
Just another 5 minutes drive alongside the Huon River you will find Port Huon, a small community with big, sweeping views of the Huon River, Bruny Island, D’Entrecasteaux Channel and, the Hartz Mountains.
Port Huon was once a busy trading port and the destination for international apple boats that transported and exported the region’s famous apples to the world. The original port remains and now is a hive of activity used by salmon grower Huon Aquaculture’s boats which are not open to the public but make for a grand picture when docked.
Franklin & Port Huon Foreshore
Franklin has a large river foreshore area with plenty of space and offers stunning photo opportunities of the Huon River and the surrounding vistas and landscapes. Franklin always puts on a show – especially at sunrise and sunset, so make sure you have your cameras ready!
- BBQ (electric) with BBQ shelter, seating, picnic tables.
- Boat Ramp
- Public Toilets with disabled access
- RV Dump Point
- Walking Track along the riverbank
- Franklin Oval
At Port Huon just beside the docks, you will find Shipwrights Point Regatta Point and playground which includes an RV Dump point.
Things to see and do near Franklin and Port Huon
- Visit the Wooden Boat Centre
- Take a kayaking tour along the Huon River from Franklin with Esperance Adventures.
- Visit the quirky Shop @ Franklin – loaded with retro and vintage pieces.
- Grab a great pub meal at The Moorings at Lady Jane Franklin
- Drop-in for a meal at the Kermandie Hotel at Port Huon.