Situated in Huon Valley’s Far South at the head of Port Esperance Bay, Dover is a beautiful fishing village. The town offers excellent views across the bay to the islands of Faith, Hope, and Charity; with the imposing Adamsons Peak in the background.
Take the 45-minute drive south from Huonville on the Huon Highway (A6) to breathe in the sea air and relax for a few nights in some of the accommodation on offer. The town has become an important fishing port and is home to some of the largest Atlantic salmon farms.
Dover is a great place to stock up with supplies if heading further south. You will find services such as supermarket, petrol station, post office, pharmacy, hardware, bank, online access centre, restaurants and takeaway shops.
Dover Foreshore and Beaches
- Free BBQ (electric) and picnic facilities – tables and seating.
- Boat ramp and plenty of fishing
- Children’s playground
- Dog Walking area
- Public toilets
- Beach access
Things to see and do
- Learn about the local maritime heritage at the Dover Museum and Gallery.
- Cruise the pristine waters of Port Esperance and the southern coastline with Peninsula Cruising.
- Grab a paddle and explore the spectacular waterways in and around the far south with Esperance Adventures.
- Check out the home of the world’s first sassafras spirit, reflecting the essence of Tasmania’s wild places with Evoke Spirits at Bakehouse Distillery.
- Immerse in local celebrations including Dover Seafest and the Port Esperance Regatta.
- For more experienced walkers, try a day hike to the summit of Adamson’s Peak.
- Drive just up to the road to Strathblane and visit Touchwood Farm where you can buy a range of hand-made soaps, lotions, oils, herbs and seasonal fruits and vegetables.