Geeveston (25 minutes drive south of Huonville, 1 hour from Hobart) is the gateway town into the southern forests. Made famous as the location of the filming of the television series Rosehaven. A good stopping place on your way to Tahune Airwalk and Hartz Mountain National Park.
This small timber town is named after the Geeves family. The main street features a collection of hand-carved wooden statues of local identities each with a plaque explaining their personal stories.
Right in the centre of town, you will find the Geeveston Town Hall Visitor Centre. Here you will find some friendly locals who will enthusiastically help you with some advice on your visit to the Huon Valley. They have a large range of locally made arts, crafts, and produce for sale as well as a display of interesting information on the region’s history and key features.
As you wander the main street you will find the local bakery, coffee shops, cafes, find food outlets, sweets, craft and gift shops.
Several street settings in and around Geeveston are clearly recognisable from the Australian comedy series and hit show “Rosehaven” that has aired across multiple series on ABC TV.
The Tasmanian Forest Workers Memorial is located in Heritage Park, right next to the town centre. The park is beautiful with many spots for a picnic or BBQ, with kids adventure playground and plenty of space for kids to run and explore, toilets and car park are located close-by. Take a stroll along the Platypus walk.
Geeveston is the access point to the edge of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, Hartz Mountain National Park and Tahune Forest Adventures.
Geeveston Twilight Feast
On the 1st Thursday of every month the Geeveston Visitor Centre hosts a Twilight Feast between 5pm-8pm. Make sure to follow the Geeveston Feast Facebook page and prebook your tickets as they sell out fast.
What to see
- Drop in to see the lovely folk at the Geeveston Visitor Centre
- Be tempted at Wall of Lollies – big & little kids will love the range available here.
- Local eateries and cafes serving delicious cuisine and coffee, including a local picklery called Harvest and Light and old world nostalgic cuisine of The Old Bank of Geeveston.
- Discover the resident platypus family right in the middle of the town on the Platypus walk at Heritage Park.
- The new Arve Big Tree memorial and Virtual Reality Giant Tree in Heritage Park.